Thursday, January 5, 2012

Endoscopic Surgery



Sorry I haven't updated this sooner but on our last visit to Houston, Chris ended up with another appointment before we left with the head and neck surgeon, Dr. Hanna.
They discussed removing his sinus tumor and decided on Endoscopic Surgery for the 26th of this month. My birthday is on the 25th so I am considering this a birthday present for my soul and mind. I am so ecstatic that the tumor is now small enough to for them to be able to operate. The Doctor said there were no hot spots on Chris's MRI and the tumor appears to be dead but we are going back to Houston tomorrow for a new catscan and another Brain MRI. This new MRI will show sections spliced in the opposite way to give the Doctor a clear view of the bones and nerves near Chris's tumor. He said it was good the tumor had receded upwards towards the front of his head because before it much to close to some arteries and inoperable. He told Chris the reason for his headaches is probably because of exposed bone in the sinus cavity. Normally the bones would be covered with tissue and mucous but the Chemo probably killed that tissue as Chemo not only kills cancer cells but normal cells as well. We failed to ask if it would grow back. I will be sure to remember to ask that on the next trip to the head and neck center. Chris is so happy to be able to get this out of his head!  Dr. Hanna assured Chris though if he saw anything that might be a risk he wouldn't chance it and won't do the surgery. The tumor is very close to the optic nerve but as of now he does not see a problem I guess we will know after he looks at the scans that they will be doing tomorrow. I can't believe its been almost 8 months since this began. Its been one heck of roller coaster ride but things just seem to be looking up now and I pray that they continue that way. Life and my perspective on things have changed so dramatically. I hate that it took my husband having Cancer for me to appreciate life and my love ones in a way I can't explain. It took my husband having Cancer for me to experience a closer relationship with God than I have ever had before and for me to truly never ever take anything for granted. I have found that I had more friends than I ever thought I had and I have experienced  complete true kindness from friends and strangers alike. I have said it a million times but I feel so blessed beyond words for all of you. Thank you for that.
xo
k

No comments: